Saturday, May 16, 2009

Project 2 Update : Side-stepping

So, I really wanted to rebuild the motor in the Purple Plane.  Getting that thing running would teach me a lot about how these motors work, give me a chance to to learn some of the lessons I missed being 12 while my Dad did everything.

As I posted before I saw some videos on YouTube about replacing the berrings.  Now, I've soaked this engine in WD40 for almost a week.. and it's still not budging.  The guy at Hidden Hangar Hobbies told me the berrings that are in there are likely rusted, which is causing the motor to be locked up.  Of course, pulling them out requires taking a lot of other parts out of the motor (namely the cylinder casing, cylinder, and crank shaft), which I can't get to budge.. not even with heat.

Then theres the cost; the berrings are $35 from HHH, plus O-rings for the carborator (which is corroded, so it might not run well) and a new gasket for the backplate.. Im looking at about $60 in parts just to try and get this motor working.

"Why don't you just buy a new motor?  For $99 I can hand you an engine that you take home, mount, and start!" ...  Now, Liz and I have an agreement to do all research prior to recommending a purchase over $50, and then to get bi-spousal approval before making said purchase.  

I came home, hit up eBay.. and, much to my surprise.. I found a brand new OS Max 40 Engine for only $56.00!  So, I am currently waiting on the auction to end
Fret not, Project 2, I'm not giving up on you.. I'm just delaying the rebuild until I have some more time (like this winter).  Picking up a motor will get my flying as soon as next weekend!  Wish me luck on that auction!

No comments:

Post a Comment