Sunday, May 17, 2009

Information Gathering

In preparation for my motor to arrive, I've been reading up on the break-in procedure. Especially since they don't have "the papers" to provide with it (meaning the manual that explains break-in, I suspect).

So, just in case these sites go down, or go away, Im going to provide some re-posting here.


A *great* looking FAQ : http://www.mecoa.com/faq/index.htm

Forum Post by someone who seems to know what they're talking about :

All of the FP engines were ABC. Therefore you must use ABC break-in procedures if you don't want to ruin the engine.

I have an FP 40 ... that I just pulled out of mothballs myself this past week. Here's the procedure I took to get it started (I also had lost my manual.)

1. Open the needle about 3 turns (this is way to much, but it's better than too little.)

2. Don't connect glow plug yet. Place finger over carb. Flip about three times. You should see fuel come up the line to the carb on the first flip and then two more flips brings a little fuel into the engine. Remove finger from carb.

3. Flip the prop about 5 more times. This makes sure the right amount of fuel is in the cylinder so it will start easy (usually first flip.)

4. Connect glow plug ignitor. Open thottle to about 1/3 open. Flip prop and the engine should start. (Note: I use a leather work glove on my hand to protect my fingers... don't use your bare hand! You can also use an electric starter if you have one... however don't grind the engine over with the starter... just tap it... if you grind it you can flood your engine and just make things worse.) If engine doesn't start (or won't keep running), close needle valve 1/4 turn and go back to step 2.

5. Once the engine is running it will be running slow and rough. Try openning the throttle slowly... if the engine is about to stall go back to 1/3 thottle. Now turn needle valve in about 2 clicks. Wait 2 seconds. Try openning thottle again. Repeat until you can run full throttle.

6. Remove glow plug ignitor. Tune needle valve according to instructions on site listed above.

Note, that once you get to know your engine the trick of 3 flips with finger, 5 flips without and then 1 flip to start works about 90% of the time for me. In fact, I nolonger start my plane in the pits and then carry it to the flight line. Instead, I just carry the plane, a leather glove and a ni-starter to the flight line and just start it by hand there... this seems much safer than carrying a plane with a running motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment